Saturday, April 6, 2013

Through the Greenspace Around Regina


THROUGH THE GREENSPACE AROUND REGINA

CHARACTERS

ADRIAN – 22 , unemployed SHELLEY – 26, a waitress

BRUCE – 35 HANNAH – 22, a prostitute (played by the same actress as Shelley)

SETTING

Modern day, Regina

SET

Two playing areas on the stage: A diner; A payphone attached to a pole.

SCENE I


Adrian.

Lights up. SHELLEY is wasting time on her phone. ADRIAN is writing things down on a pad of paper, while sitting at a table. There are empty dishes in front of him. SHELLEY walks over and starts to take the dishes.

SHELLEY
You have any other plans for the night?

ADRIAN
Try and get home before the sun rises. How about you?

SHELLEY sits down opposite ADRIAN, starts to rub her feet.

SHELLEY
This is my night. The only bad thing about being open twenty-four hours is you have to be open twenty-four hours. My nights are my days, and my days are for sleeping.

ADRIAN
Is it just you here?

SHELLEY
My boss can't get any other waitresses to stick. Everyone he hires isn't willing to do the job properly, and so I get stuck working at night because he trusts me. Is that fair?

BEAT

SHELLEY (CONT)
No, it's not. I go and say 'I need a day off, I can't work twelve hours a day' and he's like 'But you have to'.


ADRIAN
I don't know what that's like.

SHELLEY
You're missing out.

SHELLEY gets up and takes the dishes. Returns with the bill.

SHELLEY
I've never seen you around here. I'm Shelley.

ADRIAN
Adrian. Is it actually that hard for you to get a day off?

SHELLEY
It's a hard line of work.

PAUSE

ADRIAN
What would you do if I did get one off? BEAT

SHELLEY
If I had a day off, I'd probably check out some of the parks.

ADRIAN
You know they're all man made? I'm from here, I went away for a bit, but I learned about it when I was a kid. This area was called Pile-o-Bones.

SHELLEY
No shit.

ADRIAN
Yeah, when the explorers were coming through, the only distinguishing feature was a pile of bison bones they found near the river.

SHELLEY
And-

ADRIAN
So they built it up. Flooded the river, had to pull in more water from elsewhere. Created lakes, planted new trees. They turned fields of grass into forests.

SHELLEY
They're nice to walk through, aren't they?

ADRIAN
Yeah, I think so. I'd like to go check more of them out. Maybe take a friend.

SHELLEY
I could walk around, forget about this shitty job.

ADRIAN
Forget I don't have a job.

SHELLEY
That's nothing you should say to a stranger.

ADRIAN
You looking for someone fiscally responsible?

SHELLEY
Lord knows I'm not. Not looking for anyone.

PAUSE

SHELLEY
It's nice to talk to someone.

ADRIAN
Yeah, I haven't really had a chance to meet anyone.

SHELLEY
Me neither. Working here at night by myself, I don't ever see anyone.

ADRIAN
You're friends don't come and visit you?

SHELLEY
They never seem able to make it.

ADRIAN
You get in an argument?

SHELLEY
I don't really want to talk about it. It's kind of-

ADRIAN
It's harder out here. To find a job, I mean, not make friends.. Harder than I remember. Everyone wants you to have experience or know someone. I can't get my hands on any kind of job.

SHELLEY
I remember what it was like when I first moved. I couldn't even afford the cab from the bus. I had to walk to my sister's place.

ADRIAN
With all your bags, trapped in the rain?

SHELLEY
It doesn't happen that often, but I guess it's just my luck. Just like how I landed this job.

ADRIAN
What a catch that was.

SHELLEY
My boss isn't horrible. Keeps me fed. Lets me keep my tips.

ADRIAN
That's the best you can say?

SHELLEY
Life's expensive.

ADRIAN
Yeah, I want to... I wanna get past that. Really make something of myself. I feel like I've got a second chance now, to make myself better.

SHELLEY
Can I tell you something?

ADRIAN
Something you don't tell your other customers?

SHELLEY
Fuck, I hate my other customers.

ADRIAN
Feels like I'm in good hands.

SHELLEY
If you'd met my regulars...

ADRIAN
Your regulars?

SHELLEY
The only customers. Homeless, cons, junkies. Bottom of the barrel.

ADRIAN
I'm a con...

PAUSE

SHELLEY
Oh.

ADRIAN stands up

ADRIAN
Ex-con. Yeah, I better go. Nice meeting you.

ADRIAN leaves the diner. Lights up on the payphone.

SHELLEY
Shit

SHELLEY follows ADRIAN. Lights down on the diner.

SHELLEY
So... you're fresh out?

ADRIAN
Sure.

PAUSE

SHELLEY
I-

ADRIAN
I didn't do anything. I- Fuck, I'm human too. You can't just treat me like shit like that. Or people like me. We didn't ask for it. I didn't even fucking do anything. The guys in there, they deserve it. Not me.

SHELLEY
Adrian, I'm sorry.

ADRIAN
You're fucking right.

SHELLEY
I wish I hadn't said anything.

ADRIAN
I... No. I'm glad you said it. Or found out, or asked, or whatever. It's nothing I forget about, so... I'm glad you know.

SHELLEY
You really want to put it behind yourself, don't you?

ADRIAN
I can get over it. People can't.

SHELLEY
All that talk of bettering yourself, making something more...

ADRIAN
We all need something, Shelley. Something we're good at.

PAUSE

SHELLEY
You want a coffee?

ADRIAN
Thanks, but I've got to get home. Early morning.

SHELLEY stands outside for a bit before going into the diner. The minute she goes in, the phone begins to ring. ADRIAN walks over and picks it up. Lights remain down on diner.

ADRIAN
Hello?


BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Adrian.

ADRIAN
Who is this?

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
You look like shit

ADRIAN
Who the fuck are you?

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Do something for me.

ADRIAN
I'm gonna hang up if you don't tell me who you are.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Reach under the box. There's a letter.

ADRIAN
I-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
It's a letter. For the woman in there. You're going deliver it.

ADRIAN
Shelley? I'm not gonna-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Then you're going to take that bat, the one leaning on the building.

ADRIAN
You want me to-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Beat her to death. Fucking beat her to death.

ADRIAN
What the fuck. I'm not doing that. The-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
You do it, you'll be paid.

SFX: Phone clicks, dead air.

ADRIAN (CONT.)
Hey, where are you? Where are you?

SHELLEY walks outside, startles ADRIAN

SHELLEY
I'm right here.

ADRIAN
Who- Shelley?

SHELLEY
Who's on the phone, Adrian?

ADRIAN
Oh, it's- no one. Can we- Is this... Are you here by yourself?

SHELLEY
Here, you probably need these.

SHELLEY hands ADRIAN a bottle of pills

SHELLEY (CONT.)
Boss's orders. He also left this for you.

SHELLEY passes ADRIAN a letter

ADRIAN
What...

SHELLEY
I just found them in the back. Like I said, we get a lot of people like you in here.

ADRIAN
These are- Shelley, I'm not like this.

SHELLEY
Just, how about you head home now?

ADRIAN
Shelley... You need to- the phone-

SHELLEY
Hey, two steps back.

ADRIAN
They were-

SHELLEY
Get the fuck away from me.

ADRIAN
I'm trying to help you.

SHELLEY
I don't need your fucking help.

The phone begins to ring again.

SHELLEY
So who's on the phone?

ADRIAN
It's-

SHELLEY
Better pick it up.

SHELLEY goes inside, locks the door. ADRIAN walks over and picks up the phone.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
She's a bitch.

ADRIAN
I'm not-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Check in the plant beside the door.

ADRIAN does this. Finds a duffel bag full of money. Goes back to the phone.

ADRIAN
Where'd this all come from.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Do it.

ADRIAN
I told you, I'm not doing it.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Then put it back.

ADRIAN
I'll-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Put it back.

ADRIAN
If I

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Hang up.

ADRIAN hangs up the phone. It immediately begins to ring. He picks it back up.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Why'd you hang up.

ADRIAN
Because you said-

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Then take the bat and beat her fucking head in.

ADRIAN
And if I don't? If I tell her? What then?

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Do you need to ask?

SFX: Dead air. ADRIAN hangs the phone up, makes to exit. ADRIAN stops right before exiting.

ADRIAN
You know, it isn't- This- Why... God damn. Why'd I have to pick up, why'd you have to call me.
Shelley... I need to tell her.

ADRIAN knocks on the door.

ADRIAN (To himself)
I'm sorry Shelley.

ADRIAN picks up the bat.

SHELLEY
We're closed.

ADRIAN
I... I thought this place was twenty-four hours.

SHELLEY
Nope.

ADRIAN
Can I get a coffee?

SHELLEY
I'm not letting you in.

ADRIAN
Shelley, I'm not what you think I am. I don't even take these things. Let me in, please? I want to talk.

SHELLEY walks over to the door

SHELLEY
Why do you have a bat?

ADRIAN
It's my-

SHELLEY
Where'd you get the bat?

ADRIAN
Someone left it here. I've been looking for one.

SHELLEY
A bat?

ADRIAN
Yeah, I play fucking baseball. Is that okay?

SHELLEY
I'm not letting you in.

ADRIAN
Please, I need to think some things over. Just give me a few minutes.

SHELLEY
Think outside.

ADRIAN
No, I need to talk to you.

SHELLEY
What was in the note?

ADRIAN
What note? I don't have any note.

SHELLEY
The note I gave to you?

ADRIAN
Oh. It was... wasn't for me. Different Adrian. Can you let me in now?

SHELLEY unlocks the door, goes and sits down at a table. ADRIAN sits down opposite her.

ADRIAN
Could I get a coffee?

SHELLEY goes to get him a coffee

ADRIAN (CONT)
So... you here by yourself?

SHELLEY
You already asked that.

ADRIAN
Just wondering.

PAUSE

ADRIAN
Does anyone ever come in late?

SHELLEY sits down, passes the coffee over to ADRIAN

SHELLEY
Only to use the phone.

ADRIAN
Of course... You-

SHELLEY
What did you want to say?

PAUSE

SHELLEY
Just, get out of here. I shouldn't have let you back-

ADRIAN
No, Shelley, I... I don't want you to think I'm horrible.

SHELLEY
I don't think your horrible.

ADRIAN
Yes you do, you think I'm some sort of-

SHELLEY
I don't think you're anything, Adrian. Just leave.

ADRIAN
Listen to me.

SHELLEY
You aren't saying anything.

ADRIAN
I just want to talk.

SHELLEY
Then talk. Say something. That you're some golden boy, that you- I don't know- work with kids or
something. You don't have anything to redeem yourself from. You're just someone.

ADRIAN
Even if I do something horrible? Am I just someone? Shelley, I'm not like your other customers. I'm
trying to do something, get a-

SHELLEY
I'm like my customers. Okay? I- My boss... He... When I first moved here, I needed a job. I had come
with no money, moved in with my sister. They were hiring here, so I started... I had some experience.
So I started serving tables. My boss deals out of here, he pushes it and- and I pass it onto the customers.
No one else will.

PAUSE

ADRIAN
If he's asking you to do that, what else...

SHELLEY
But I didn't want to. I don't want to. I shouldn't do things just because he asks.

ADRIAN
It's hard not to.

SHELLEY
But I'm better than that. People shouldn't just do what they're told.

ADRIAN
But wouldn't he have... fired you if you didn't?

SHELLEY
Maybe, but is it worth doing it?

ADRIAN
Sometimes. Sometimes you have to do horrible things.

SHELLEY
I don't want to do horrible things.

ADRIAN
You're not. You aren't doing them. He's doing them, through you.

SHELLEY
You know what this is like?

ADRIAN
It's happened a few times. I've been told to do things I didn't want to, but... I did them anyways. Cause
the alternative was always worst.

SHELLEY
Can't you get around it?

ADRIAN
Self preservation. Maybe.

BEAT

SHELLEY
When I first started, I made good money. My boss paid me well, I had tons. Splitting rent with my
sister, borrowing her car. Too much money. Too... much.

ADRIAN
Where's your sister?

SHELLEY
I made friends, started spending it like nothing. It... You know, when I first started working here, I said
I'd never end up like them. Treat them like dirt because they are dirt. I started using, Adrian. Whatever
my friends were doing, whatever I had my hands on that day. They showed me things I'd never even
seen. There it went. All my money. Gone. My sister kicked me out cause I couldn't pay rent. I had to
move to a shitty apartment. Three years. With nothing to show. Cause I'm a fucking Junkie.

ADRIAN
It's not your fault.

SHELLEY
Of course it's my fucking fault. What the hell do you know? I did everything, didn't I? So... it's been
two months. I still can't...

ADRIAN
Sleep?

SHELLEY
Be around people. I still see the customers as dirt. But my friends... You.

ADRIAN
I'm not like that Shelley.

SHELLEY
Fuck, we're all like that.

ADRIAN
No. Look, it wasn't your fault. You got in with the wrong crowd. Hear me out. You got in with the
wrong crowd. That's how I went to prison. Three years for something I barely did. I had a group of
friends, they asked me to help them out.

SHELLEY
What was it?

ADRIAN
Stupid shit. Point is, it wasn't my fault, and this isn't your fault.

SHELLEY
When something ask you to do something, it's your decision.

PAUSE. ADRIAN looks out at the payphone.

ADRIAN
You ever talk to your sister?

SHELLEY
Let's not talk about that.

ADRIAN
But does she know you're here?

SHELLEY
Probably not.

PAUSE

ADRIAN
Let's leave.

SHELLEY
I'm not done my shift, but if you come back-

ADRIAN
No, I mean, I'm leaving.

SHELLEY
Okay?

ADRIAN
I'm leaving Regina.

SHELLEY
Where are you going?

ADRIAN
I want you to come with me. I've- Just hear me out. I've got some money, I'm not tied down, you're not
tied down.

SHELLEY
Hah. Alright, let's just leave right now.

ADRIAN
I'm serious. You hate your job here, your life here. You want a fresh start, come with me.

SHELLEY
I barely know you Adrian.

ADRIAN
We're the same. I... We need something different. Somewhere new. Something bigger than Regina.

SHELLEY
I can't just go with you Adrian.

ADRIAN
I'll pay off your sister, we can get a car. You don't need to-

SHELLEY
It isn't that. If I'm around... I don't want to relapse.

ADRIAN
How many times do I have to tell you, I'm not fucking like that.

SHELLEY
But I am. Look, I'm on the right road, I don't want you to screw me up. No offence

ADRIAN
I'm not going to fucking screw you up. We're going to help each-

SHELLEY
How about this. You go home, sleep on this. I have the morning off, so I'll grab a coffee, and help you
look for a job. We'll make this work. Maybe walk through one of the parks.

ADRIAN
No. We have to leave.

SHELLEY
What about your new life? Your second chance? Are you just going to give up like this?

ADRIAN
It's not like that-

SHELLEY
You've been out, what, a week? And you can't find a job? So you want to restart everything.

ADRIAN
There's too many things holding me back...

SHELLEY
Like what? What could possible have changed your mind like this, made you think that Regina was the
wrong place for you?

ADRIAN
I'm not fresh out.

PAUSE

SHELLEY
You're not a-

ADRIAN
No, I am. But it's been a while.

SHELLEY
How long?

ADRIAN
Two weeks.

SHELLEY
That's not.

ADRIAN
No, I mean...

SHELLEY
Two weeks isn't-

ADRIAN
Three months, okay? Three fucking months out. No job. No money.

SHELLEY
Don't they have... programs for you?

ADRIAN
I do the bare minimum. Everything. Talk to my parole officer only when I have to. Skip on the halfway
houses. I wanted to do it on my own. So. So I get up... I got up, at seven every morning. Went
outside, handed out resumés. No one called. No interviews. So, I get up. Every afternoon, at three. I
fucking lie there till the sun goes down. Than I wander around, get something to eat when I'm hungry.

SHELLEY
Why does it matter?

ADRIAN
Because it's not my fucking fault. I shouldn't have been in there. I shouldn't have missed my nineteenth
birthday. I shouldn't have to fucking tell every single person I meet “Hi, I'm a fucking convict. Watch
your wives, watch your children.” What did I do? Nothing. It's not my responsibility.

SHELLEY
Adrian...

ADRIAN
That's why I want to leave. This isn't the place for me, for us. It's holding us back.

SHELLEY
Adrian-

ADRIAN
We deserve better than this. This crappy life that's been forced on us, that's taken away any chance we
had of being happy, of kicking our habits or getting back into the groove. We can't do any of that if we
don't move on.

SHELLEY
Adrian! Where'd a con like you get this money?

ADRIAN (LAUGHING)
Same place a junkie like you gets yours.

PAUSE

ADRIAN
I've been saving up-

SHELLEY
From what job?

ADRIAN
It's a pay advance.

SHELLEY
So you're taking the money and leaving?

ADRIAN
They wont notice.

SHELLEY
Do you want to go back to jail?

ADRIAN
I don't want to work for them.

SHELLEY
Then give the money back.

ADRIAN
I can't. PAUSE Look, we have to get moving.

SHELLEY
What are you running from?

ADRIAN
Nothing. I'm not running.

SHELLEY
You're taking this money, and you're running from the person that gave it to you.

ADRIAN
It's my money.

SHELLEY
Who are these people anyways?

ADRIAN
Just a company.

SHELLEY
Yeah? What company would hire a con like you?

ADRIAN
I don't know. If a junkie can get a job- BEAT Shelley, we need to get out of here.

SHELLEY
I'm not going anywhere with you.

ADRIAN
Just do it. Please.

SHELLEY
Get out.

ADRIAN
North-Central. I got the money from some people in North-Central. Okay?

SHELLEY
You make me fucking sick. North-Central? I thought you were trying to fix yourself up.

ADRIAN
I am. I just needed- I had to-

SHELLEY
Get involved? Again? Why did I let you back in.

ADRIAN
What do you mean, Shelley-

SHELLEY
Of course there was a note here for you. Of course you were on that fucking phone. It's what they all
come here for.

ADRIAN
I'm not-

SHELLEY
You're not?

ADRIAN
Let me talk. I'm-

SHELLEY
Get out.

ADRIAN
Shut up. Shut-

SHELLEY
Out. Get Out. Get the fuck out of here. Never come back.

SHELLEY pushes ADRIAN towards the door. As she does, the letter falls out of ADRIANS pocket.

SHELLEY picks it up.

SHELLEY
What is this? Why do you have something with my name on it?

ADRIAN
It's not for you.

SHELLEY
Who gave it to you?

ADRIAN
Give it back.

SHELLEY
I've missed a few...

SHELLEY opens the letter

ADRIAN
Shelley, don't open it.

SHELLEY
Is this a joke? What are you- you're working for them, aren't you?

ADRIAN
What do you-

SHELLEY
That's why you wanted me to go with you.

ADRIAN
No, it's-

SHELLEY
You get out of here, and tell them to wait. Fuck, give them some of your money. I'm done with that shit.
I'm not going back.

ADRIAN
Shelley, they want you dead.

PAUSE

SHELLEY
Is that why you're here? To kill me?

ADRIAN
No, I'm-

SHELLEY
Why you came back in, apologized, started talking to me?

ADRIAN
I'm not going to kill you Shelley. I want to help you

SHELLEY
What the fuck do you know. I don't need your fucking help. Get the fuck out of here.

SHELLEY pushes ADRIAN out the door, who trips and falls. SHELLEY picks up the bat, and ADRIAN
stands up. They start to fight over the bat.

ADRIAN
Let go of the bat.

SHELLEY
No-

ADRIAN
Let go of the bat Shelley.

SHELLEY
Fuck you.

ADRIAN
Let go.

ADRIAN gets the bat, and pushes SHELLEY back into the diner. They begin to struggle, with
SHELLEY eventually falling.

SHELLEY
You're a piece of shit, Adrian. You're worse-

ADRIAN kills SHELLEY. When he's done, he's covered with blood. He then goes and picks up the
phone.

ADRIAN
You ruined my favourite place for lunch.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
She's a bitch.

ADRIAN
I'm done.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
You killed-

ADRIAN
Tell them to leave me alone.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
We have more work for you. Just answer the phone.

ADRIAN
Good bye.

BRUCE (VOICE OVER)
Don't-

ADRIAN drops the phone.

ADRIAN
Free to do whatever I want.

ADRIAN walks off stage. Lights down.

END SCENE

SCENE II

Later that night. Low lights. HANNAH is silhouetted on stage, leaning against the telephone pole,
smoking. ADRIAN enters carrying the bag of money, silhouetted.

HANNAH
You seem tired. Need a boost?

ADRIAN ignores HANNAH, and walks over to the door of his apartment. He turns the lights on, and he
is still covered in blood. He reaches into the bag, and wipes his face off with a bit of money. He begins
to stack the money into piles.

ADRIAN
Train ticket... Food... Hotels...

The bottle of pills falls out of ADRIAN's pocket as he bends over to grab more money. He grabs them.

ADRIAN
I'm not like that, honestly, Shelley.

ADRIAN puts the pills into his pocket. He finishes stacking the money, and begins to pack a bag with
clothes.

ADRIAN
Well, maybe just one.

ADRIAN takes a pill.

ADRIAN
No sleep tonight...

ADRIAN takes another pill.

ADRIAN
Don't want to... It's over. I'm finally going to do something.

ADRIAN stands up, and walks over to the bag of money. He reaches in and takes out the letter Shelley
gave him. It's unopened.

ADRIAN
Was she trying to warn me, when she gave this to me? Trying to give me an out, let me know she
knew?

ADRIAN opens the letter

ADRIAN
“Kill me” PAUSE That's pretty nice. At least I knew she wanted it to happen. Hah. She didn't even
know what was written. I wonder how many of these letter she handed out. How many times she
escaped death. Someone walking up, a knife in their pocket, only to find out she went home early. Or,
maybe, walking up behind her while she pours coffee, only to slip on the floor. Straight out of a movie.
Maybe someone gets the letter, but they misread it. Think it says “Dill please”, and she gets really
confused when the guy hands her a little plant. It was inevitable. She must've really deserved it. Must
really deserve it. I wish I had slipped when I came up. Or found out she had went home early.

ADRIAN sits for a moment, then stands and puts all the money back into the bag, before changing his
coat and leaving. Lights down on his apartment, with lights up on the rest of the stage. HANNAH is
still in darkness.

HANNAH
Looking for some company?

ADRIAN
I'm going to drown myself.

HANNAH
Never learned to swim? I could teach you.

ADRIAN
Do it.

HANNAH
I've got a few spare minutes.

ADRIAN
I want the night.

HANNAH
Do you? Well, I'm a busy girl.

ADRIAN
That's no problem.

HANNAH
You'll be sore in the morning.

ADRIAN
I'll be gone.

HANNAH
Well- Are you bleeding?

ADRIAN
What? No.

HANNAH steps into the light.

HANNAH
There's something wrong with your face.

ADRIAN
Shelley. What are you doing here?

HANNAH
You're bleeding. Were you in a fight?

ADRIAN
I- who are you?

HANNAH
Whoever you want me to be.

ADRIAN
No, this isn't right-

As ADRIAN and HANNAH talk, lights slow fade down, until the two of them are in a spot.

HANNAH
Where're you going?

ADRIAN
I need to get-

HANNAH
I want you to fuck me.

ADRIAN
I- I want to.

HANNAH
Since you saw me?

ADRIAN
Since we talked.

HANNAH
Wasn't that long.

ADRIAN
I wanted to go places with you, I want to go places with you.

HANNAH
Anywhere you want.

ADRIAN
I

HANNAH
We could go for a walk

ADRIAN
They'd find us.

HANNAH
Around the trees, through the bushes. Find somewhere alone.

ADRIAN
I'd love to be alone-

HANNAH
You can hit me if you want.

ADRIAN
What?

HANNAH
Some guys like to do it. I don't mind.

ADRIAN
I don't-

ADRIAN and HANNAH kiss. HANNAH pulls away, her face now covered in blood.

HANNAH
Tastes like blood. I hit you.

ADRIAN
You hit me?

HANNAH
Did someone hit you?

ADRIAN
No- I...

HANNAH
I like you. Just promise no phone calls while we're together.

ADRIAN
I'd never do that-

HANNAH
I want to trust you. I need to trust people.

ADRIAN
Me too...

HANNAH
Fuck, that makes me want you.

ADRIAN
Who are you?

HANNAH
I'm Shelley.

ADRIAN
She's dead.

HANNAH
I'm right here. Call me Hannah. Like a banana.

HANNAH starts to push ADRIAN towards the doors.

HANNAH
Is this your apartment right here?

HANNAH pushes ADRIAN through the doors. Lights up to show the restaurant. There is a pool of
blood on the ground, and the bloody bat.

ADRIAN
Why are we here?

HANNAH
Isn't this where you do your work? Eat all your meals, take all your baths.

ADRIAN
No, I

HANNAH holds up the bloody bat.

HANNAH
Isn't this yours?

ADRIAN
No, I found-

HANNAH gestures to the rest of the restaurant

HANNAH
You didn't do all this?

ADRIAN
I did, but I didn't mean to.

HANNAH
Doesn't look like an accident.

HANNAH pushes ADRIAN down, and he lies on the pool of blood. HANNAH climbs on top of him, in a way reminiscent of SHELLEY's death.

ADRIAN
I have to get going, I need to get on-

HANNAH
We just got here. Don't you want to spend some time together?

ADRIAN
I lose control-

HANNAH
I lose control when I'm around people like you. Have too much fun.

ADRIAN
I didn't want it to happen.

HANNAH
Somethings have a habit of happening.

ADRIAN
I didn't want to do it.

Blackout. The phone begins to ring.

SHELLEY
But you did it anyways.

ADRIAN
I'll turn myself in.

SHELLEY
What'll that do?

ADRIAN
I don't-

SHELLEY
You should make him pay.

PAUSE

ADRIAN
I'll make him pay.

SHELLEY
That feels better, doesn't it?

The phone stops ringing.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment