Monday, December 3, 2012

Moelwyn Mawr


Moelwyn Mawr

PETER HARRIS - Early Twenties HUGH LOYD – Forties

MATILDA BRAOSE – Fifties

Setting

Northern Wales, on the mountain Moelwyn Mawr, near the town of Tanygrisiau, in 1924

Set

An empty stage, with a giant door against the back, and two tall widows on either side; Scene III, the stage was a two large wing backed chairs, and a pile of artifacts around one of them; Scene IV, the stage has a table with two chairs.

SCENE I

Lights up, with moonlight filtering through the windows. PETER enters through the door, with much effort, stands in the middle of the room.

PETER
I thought I left London to get away from my father. beat Hello? Lady of Hay? Hello?

PETER walks over to the window

PETER
Lord, what a view. Sitting on a lake. High up on Moelwyn Mawr.

HUGH enters, slamming the door behind him.

PETER
You're here? I didn't- I'm sorry about back in-

HUGH wrings out his hat

PETER
I'm- I didn't see you. My name's Peter- You can't just ignore me. We're both here to see her, aren't we? Then at least we can talk, we can- Okay. I'm sorry. Like I said, I didn't see you.

HUGH
You come straight from the train station?

PETER
Couldn't wait. Even though I wanted to practice- Can you speak the language? Welsh, I mean?


HUGH
Was raised on it.

PETER
I learnt a bit in school. Iechyd da-

HUGH
Okay, okay, very good. Didn't expect to see someone like you visiting the Dyn Hysbys, anyways.

PETER
I- Hugh, was it? Well, Hugh, she gives advice to all who come.

HUGH
No, I meant-

PETER
If you want her advice, though, you have to please her.

HUGH
I don't think that's true-

PETER
Or maybe you have to pleasure her?

HUGH
What are you talk-

PETER
Or was it offer your first born...

HUGH
She's nothing but a hermit. Why would she want your child?

PETER
Just what I've heard.

HUGH
Don't put much by that.

PETER
With her, it's a gospel. She's a figure to admire.

HUGH
For her lies and followers.

PETER
They say she can conjure up money on a whim, that where ever she goes people call her name.
HUGH
Is that why they call her Lady of Hay?

Lights dim, spotlight on PETER

PETER
Lady of Hay. She dances through conversation after conversation, helping those in need. From France and Germany they come, begging just for a question. Ah, but she speaks all languages. She talks to the birds and the foxes, and they gift her knowledge.

HUGH enters into spotlight

HUGH
She always knows you, even before you meet.

PETER
And she listens with a keen ear, answers already in mind.

HUGH
Her beauty knows no limits, she doesn't launch fleets but entire countries.

PETER
To have her.

HUGH
To protect her.

PETER
She doesn't age.

HUGH
There's no question she can't answer. Beat She doesn't like the English.

Lights up

PETER
Come off it. Our reputation is not us. She'll see me for the true original. No, it's true. I've got Welsh friends, you know. They welcome me as one of them.

HUGH
Did you bring your letter of recommendation?

PETER
All of Europe comes here, so why can't I? It's just the other end of an island, a train ride away.

HUGH
She'll take whatever slop she can.
PETER
It sounds like you can't wait to see her.

HUGH
She's been around since the war. Seemed right to leave when I heard of her again. I've got friends that swear by her.

PETER
Rumors play a part in everything.

HUGH
It's a break from work, all I need.

PETER
You haul slate?

HUGH
Wouldn't catch me dead in those mines.

PETER
Coal?

HUGH
In my blood.

PETER
You've actually managed to hold onto a job? Everything I heard on my way here, I expected it to be much worse.

HUGH
It isn't as bad-

PETER
With the recession, reparation payments. Are you from Glamorgan?

HUGH
I'm gonna find a bed.

PETER
You can't leave yet. We haven't met the Dyn Hysbys yet.

HUGH
Send her my way when you do.

PETER
Wait, Hugh. I've heard that if you don't accept her gifts, take a drink or something to eat when she offers, she tosses you right out. You know how many people visit her? You wander off now, she might get angry.

HUGH
Okay, then I'll head back down to the town.

PETER
It's night time. You leave now, you might-

HUGH walks over and opens the door

PETER
Maybe we can look around, find something for us to eat. How's that sound?

HUGH
You said yourself, we can't do that. Good night.

PETER closes the door before HUGH can leave

HUGH
She hasn't offered me anything yet, she doesn't even know I'm here. You really think she'll care if I head down to Tanygrisiau?

PETER
But I need her to help me.

HUGH
Look, boy. I came here for a reason. I'm not running away. It's home out there. I'm going home. I'll be back in the morning, and I'll talk to her then.

PETER
But she wont let you. That's what I'm saying. She'll throw me out.

HUGH
She's a lonely old woman who gives advice. Whatever crap advice she gives, can wait until tomorrow. For a Londoner, she'll probably make you wait a week. Goodnight.

PETER
What's your reason? For coming here. Scared that if you don't hold her hands, she might disappear forever?

HUGH
My reason is my own. Go find her if you want, but I'm leaving. This is beyond your understanding, so head to bed or head home. That's where I'm going.

PETER
The Welsh aren't like this. They help people, welcome them. They tell stories and don't run from anything. Simple folk, that-
HUGH
What'd you say?

PETER
You're not suppose to be like this. In your valleys, down in the mines. You're accepting, you're- I don't know-

HUGH
I don't match your little ideal? You've read some books, learnt a couple of words. You think you can define me? The Welsh? You don't belong here.

PETER
I don't belong here? You refuse me, why? Because I don't spend all my days hitting rocks with sharper rocks, harder rocks?

HUGH
I'm leaving, Peter. I- Look. It's nighttime. I wander out into town, and I get something to drink. Whether I'm choking on coal, or just arriving. It's what I've done, and it's what I do. Whether I see the Dyn Hysbys or not.

PETER
Why do you want to see her, then? Why do you waste your time, why don't you go back to work? Why-

HUGH
I can't go back. You said it yourself, it's hard to find a job. I was sick of waiting around, for something to find me. So I-

PETER
Then you're like me. Leaving where you came from, in pursuit of something new. Back in London, they don't care. About the people, and the mines, like I do. I want to turn it back, make things right again. I'm just like you, trying to-

HUGH
Why do you want to be one us so badly? You talk about us Welsh as if we're cattle, like you can just put on a hat and there you go, you're one of us. You got off that train, what did you do? I saw. You almost stepped back on. In your rush up here, you knocked me down. Didn't even help me up.

PETER
But if you-

HUGH
Just give you a shot? You think because you went to some big building and got some piece of paper saying you know how to do one thing, that you've researched one thing, you can fix the mines, fix Glamorgan, fix Wales? I'm leaving? Get out of here Peter. She can't help you.

PETER
I may be a stranger, Hugh. I may not be from around here, coming in just looking for advice. But you are too. You talk of coal mining, of working day and night in mines so choked full of dust, you taste it in your sleep. But Tanygrisiau is a slate town. There's no coal, 'cept what they use for heating. You're a coal miner in a slate town.

HUGH
And that makes me wrong?

PETER
It separates you. I'll go back to London, when you go back to Glamorgan.

HUGH
Get out of here. Get out. You- No. I'm Welsh. I'm one of them. What are you trying to say to me? You've come here to use our Dyn Hysbys, just like our coal, just like our land. A missionary from London. You-

PETER
Such a horrible person to be.

HUGH
You seem to think so.

PETER
It's nicer than the alternative.

HUGH
You act like you have a choice.

PETER
Lord, you act like it's horrible to change. What are you here for anyways? You make fun of me, you dishonor the Dyn Hysbys, but why? I'm here for advice, just like you.

HUGH
Well, you'll get it here.

PETER
I hope she doesn't help you.

HUGH
I hope she tells you off.

PETER
Why are you even here? I'm going to figure out how to save this land-

HUGH
That's what you're here for, Peter? All your noble intentions? To save my people? You're here to step on their backs, raise yourself up. You really think you can fix all this? That she'll tell you what to do?

PETER
I know she will.

HUGH
Then it's a wonder she hasn't done it herself.

Beat

PETER
You-

MATILDA off stage
I will not have people fighting!

Music begins to play, an upbeat tune. MATILDA walks on, and kisses both HUGH and PETER in turn.

MATILDA
If you've come for my advice, as I know you have, you will stop this argument at once. Two darling men such as you cannot be angry.

PETER
He-

MATILDA
Dr Harris. I don't care one bit what Mr. Loyd is doing, going to do, has done, will do, can't do and knows not to do. What matters, is he's here to meet me.

HUGH
That's-

MATILDA
And you. You figured, because I'm such a great host, you can walk right in, hunt around, knock things over? No no no, that's not allowed. Naughty of you. Maybe, maybe I should kick you out? Sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

HUGH
Not exactly what I expected...

PETER
Uh... No, no, Lady of Hay, I've come so far, just to visit you. To ask you a question, seek your great advice. Please, Dyn Hysbys, don't kick us out.

MATILDA
Well... You've convinced me. You can stay. Oh, I'm just so wise and just, aren't I? Such unhappy people always come to ask me, always seeking my advice. And I give it out, to everyone. I help every last one of them. Never mind that no one knows why.

HUGH
It's tough out there.

MATILDA
You act like this is trivial, Mr Loyd. Do you know the work I do up here? Is it so easy, I live a life at ease? But, it is my duty. Luckily, a storms blowing in, so no one else can join us today.

HUGH opens the door, and looks outside

HUGH
Not even any clouds.

MATILDA
Well, of course there's not. That's happening next week. You know, they say I can see the future. I had one man come here, and he asked if his crops would grow, and you know what? They did. His useless crops sprouted right up, and he was so happy, he sent his whole family to me.

PETER
How wonderful-

MATILDA
But enough about me. Dr Harris, how was your trip from London? Your father hasn't found out yet, has he? Don't worry, you'll be able to blend it with all the other Welsh speaking folk. They're waiting for you, you know. Ready for you to fix everything.

PETER
I don't-

MATILDA
Of course you will. Bright young lad like you, and all that stuff. And Hugh. You talk well for a miner, don't you. How was the journey? Came right from Glamorgan. Straight shot, didn't take more than a month. Get some advice from old Matilda. That's what I'm here for. At least, it's what everyone tells me. And who can't trust the word of the masses? Beat But we'll talk in the morning. You'll have to find somewhere to sleep, and I'm afraid I'm all out of food. Might have to go down to town. Good night.

The same music begins to play again, and MATILDA practically dances off stage.

PETER
Well, at least we've met her.

HUGH opens the door

HUGH
Are you really a doctor?

PETER
Uh... no. My father is.
HUGH
Hah, an imposter, I guess.

HUGH exits

PETER
I wonder when the last train is.

Lights down

SCENE II

The next morning. An orange, peaceful light floods onto the stage. HUGH is looking out a window, muttering to himself while occasionally writing something in a book. PETER is pacing outside the door.

PETER
When is she-

HUGH
Calm down.

PETER
Hugh, what are you going to ask?

HUGH
Not how to save Wales.

PETER
I didn't know they taught you to write in the mines.

PETER attempts to take HUGH's book. HUGH puts the book in his pocket.

HUGH
I did go to school.

PETER
Hugh... When Matilda comes out here, you let me go first, okay?

HUGH
I don't understand why you're in such a hurry.

PETER
It's better than hanging out here. I can finally go out, meet the people. Live on the mountains.

HUGH
Moelwyn Mawr not big enough for you?
PETER
Well, there's just no life here. A old lady and a bitter man.

HUGH
Moelwyn Mawr means “Great White Hill”. You know that?

PETER
That's what I'm talking about. The language, we'd just call it Mt. Founder, or Mt. Hill. Nothing like that.

HUGH
But-

PETER
But nothing. You'd don't realize how lucky you are. To grow up in a land like this, to work with the people and be simple. I want to help Wales, bring it back. Travel to the towns.

HUGH
All the way to Glamorgan?

PETER
Maybe. The Welsh everywhere need help, don't they?

HUGH
Should have stuck with your Welsh friends, then.

PETER begins pacing again, then stops.

PETER
I wonder what she'll tell me. I couldn't sleep-

HUGH
I slept fine. She'll give you your advice, and then you can get out of here.

PETER
How can you treat this so-

HUGH
Whatever happens, happens. Whether I go first or in a month.

PETER
How can wait? Don't you want to get out there? Do something?

HUGH
I can't just worry about a warm feeling in my stomach.


PETER
Well then why are you still here? How can you- Hugh, why do you hate me? What can-

HUGH
Describe that sunrise for me, Peter.

PETER
Well... it's orange. Some citrus fruit, in the sky.

HUGH

Orange? Do you know the Welsh word for sunrise? It's codiad haul. Sounds almost like a place, doesn't it. Codiad haul is when you can look directly at the sun. I know it's about to get warm, but if I go outside these doors right now, the mountain air will push me to the closest fire. Going down into the mines, you miss it most days. It's like no time has passed at the end of your shift, cause the moons still there. You start living by it. You're sweating, at the thought, and the weight of your job. You come out, and when you get your paycheck, it's a pink slip. You're happy the war's over, that your brother came back alive, wont have to face a world where you eat crout. Instead, the whole town's filled with people at noon, not caring. Mines that haven't been touched in years. So you don't have enough money to live. But you hear about a woman. I hear about a woman. Someone who knows everything, a Dyn Hysbys, a wise man. Someone who can help you set things right. Let me guess, Peter, you took the train here? I've been wandering for five years. There isn't anything out there. Sitting down, with the last bit of me sitting on the table in a cup. I hear those rumors again. Rumors everywhere I go, but this time, she's just up a mountain, a little hill on the edge of town. I don't know why I ended up in Tanygrisiau, but it brought me closer to her. When I was out, climbing those hills, walking the roads, hopping no one would forget about me, hopping that I'd fall down and die. Every day, I'd see codiad haul, and hate that it had happened again. I don't hate you. You're just selfish. You're here cause you're sick of London. Everything's been laid out for you, so you need to find something that isn't. Admiration, fame, love. And when you don't get it, you're done. Just like me. Your life feels useless? My entire life has been trying to keep a fire going. My entire town was devoted to powering one ship. And it's all gone now. I'm done.
The door opens, and light floods onto the stage

MATILDA off stage
Mr Loyd, come in.

PETER grabs HUGH's arm

PETER
Wait, wait... Hugh, what are you going to ask?

HUGH exits. The door closes behind him. Black out.

SCENE III

Lights up. MATILDA is sitting, a collection of mystical artifacts around her. She's holding up a crystal ball.

MATILDA
He'll like this one. Miners always appreciate a nice, polished crystal ball.

HUGH enters

MATILDA
Wait, wait there. Don't approach me too fast, you might scare away the spirits.

HUGH walks over, and sits down. HUGH takes the crystal ball, and rolls it away.

HUGH
Matilda, Lady of Hay, great Dyn Hsybys, I don't need my fortune read, or to find out where my great grandfather buried his gold, or whether my cow will give birth this month or next.

MATILDA
Of course you don't, I-

HUGH
I just want advice, so I can get out of here.

MATILDA
Okay, then. Mr Loyd, what is your question.
Beat

HUGH
I want to know how to go back.
MATILDA
Back to what?

HUGH
To the way things were. To before I lost my job, experience-

MATILDA
Lead you back? Tell you how to get there? I can't help you. Please leave. This isn't my expertise.

HUGH
I came all this way to talk to you, I spent my last-

MATILDA
You think this is the first time I've heard that? I deal with crop predictions, rain making. To ask something like this of me...

HUGH
That's not fair.

MATILDA
Who are you to say that? What do you want? Something to do with the economy. That's when it all started, right? You think it's happenstance, that the minute the war ends, that the economy starts to collapse, the US enters the market, the ships switch to oil. You think it's just coincidence this happens right when a Dyn Hysbys becomes known?

HUGH
You gave advice out, and more people needed it. So they heard of you. You weren't created, you didn't-

MATILDA
But I did. I'm a retired widow. People started showing up, and I was lonely. I can't help you.

HUGH
But you've still been doing it long enough to be able to help-

MATILDA
No. I have fake advice. I can't predict weather, I can't find lost things. I'm a story told by the welsh.

HUGH
At least try, Matilda. Help me, and then quit. Isn't it enough that I'm asking? I'll tell everyone you turned into a bat or something. Act like it was the best advice in the world.

MATILDA
Hugh.

HUGH
Help me. Please.

MATILDA
I'll try- Okay. You want to go back.

HUGH
It's... more then that. I want the coal mines to be fixed.

MATILDA
The mines. Did you enjoy working in them? Wish every minute you can be back? Dream about them?

HUGH
Since they stopped...

MATILDA
I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about then, when you were working.

HUGH
Of course I liked it. It's in my blood. My father, and my father's father. We're Welsh.

MATILDA
So what are you trying to go back to? Is it really you, that person before?

HUGH
What do you mean it's me? It's who I am-

MATILDA
Oh, swallow your pride for one second, and actually talk. You play, but it's not you. No one likes being down in those mines. You work all day, then spend what little you have. Maybe get a family. Go back? To doing something pointless, just another stone in a thousand? You know this. You don't want it.

HUGH
It's who I am. Who are you to say-

MATILDA
I'm saying, you're not happy because you aren't doing anything. You want to go back, not because you miss it. You have no purpose. You go around spouting this about Wales, and that about your fellow miners, but you aren't doing anything. You realize that now, realize you weren't doing anything before. You don't want to be back in the mines. You want to be back before you knew it. Before your epiphany. Hugh, there's a reason things happen. You can't ever go back to before.

HUGH
That's not true-
MATILDA
Of course it's true. You're more than you used to be. You can do more. You're life is pointless, and it isn't anything new-

HUGH
So what if is? You can decide to trick people, why can't I decide this?
MATILDA
Cause this isn't what you want. I could send you to work slate, work steel, work whatever, and you wouldn't be happy. You're trying to trick yourself. The coal is gone. I know you've been wandering, but you found jobs. Moving from place to place, you couldn't do it. You know I'm right.

HUGH
Who are you? You ruin the people that come up here, you don't see what they need. You're worse than Peter, the misguided fool. The people are suffering. I've seen it. Yet you throw away whatever good you can do, giving some false advice because you're bored of your wealth. People always look for someone in times of desperation. It's not a curse, but an opportunity.

MATILDA
There it is. Here's my advice. You know these people. You speak their language, you've walked among them. Be a leader. You're lost because you have no purpose. So make one for yourself. Don't just submit yourself to a life of blind labour. Be their voice. Record what's going on. I saw you writing-

HUGH
You don't even know what I write. It's fancy crap, nothing for-

MATILDA
But you do write. That's the point. People will listen to you.

HUGH
But

MATILDA
You came here for my advice, and I've given it, as much as it pains me to say it. Now, walk out that door, look awed, and send Dr Harris in.

HUGH
But this isn't- I thought you helped people. I came here, didn't I? You even inspired me. Made me trek up here. For nothing. You're perfect for this place, alone at the top where no one would live anyways. A free night is better than nothing, I guess. I'm going to Tanygrisiau.

HUGH exits, MATILDA sits for a second. MATILDA picks up an old book.

MATILDA
Londoner's always love this stuff.

Black out

SCENE IV

Lights up on HUGH, sitting at the table. He is counting money. It is raining outside.

HUGH
A bite to eat, a sip to drink, or a bed to sleep. Or, Blaenau Ffestiniog by night.
PETER enters through the door

PETER
Hugh. I've been looking for you all morning. How did-

HUGH puts his bag onto the other chair

PETER
This is your response? I didn't expect you to be so sour.

HUGH
What did she tell you to make you so happy?

PETER
Something different from you, obviously.

HUGH
Can't believe you-

PETER
There's stuff I didn't understand before. But she helped me. I mean, what kind of fool was I? I wanted to open coal up. But I can't force Wales back into that. We need something new here. Something to drive us forward, into the 20th century-

HUGH
So she didn't tell you.

PETER
What are we missing here? A new perspective. That's why I'm here. I wasn't so sure before, but look at me. I'm the only one in this pub with hope. It's something you can teach, something you can pass on.

HUGH
So you're genuine.

PETER
More so than before. If you aren't, what are you? Not worth anything. That was the old me.

HUGH
It's a very, very important characteristic?

PETER
Moral fiber. It's not the action, but the thought. I can do this. And I need your help, Hugh.

HUGH
Well, isn't that a little neat package. Did Matilda tell you that too?


PETER
She told me I could find you here.

HUGH
Knows everything, doesn't she?

PETER
She has a reputation.

HUGH
Yes, I've heard. You don't know, do you?

HUGH takes his bag off the seat, PETER sits down

HUGH
You, are an idiot. Matilda, Lady of Hay, that magnate of agriculture? She is a hermit. She is a retired, old hag. She got rich, got a reputation, and got bored. She's a phoney.

PETER
That's ridiculous, she-

HUGH
Makes everything up. Told me herself. Look, you-

PETER
No, you look. You listen. Why should I believe you? You're a washed up, depressed miner.

HUGH
So why would I lie? I'm genuine. I have nothing to lose.

PETER
You're jealous.

HUGH
Jealous? No.

PETER
You're-
HUGH
No. I'm not whatever you're going to say. She's fake, a liar. You came all this way for nothing. You have all these dreams for nothing. There is nothing here for you. I'm leaving. Wales is done. We're a factory no more.

PETER
But she said-


HUGH
She lied. She lies to you, she lies to the other visitors, she lies to this whole stupid country. The only person she didn't lie to, is me. You know what she told me? That you're an idiot, a hopeless guppy who can't do anything for himself-

PETER
I can't-

HUGH
And just wandering around because he's bored. No one likes you Peter. They're sick of you.

HUGH gets up, goes to open the door, and PETER slams it close.

PETER
And what did she tell you? What did she say to make you so bitter?

HUGH
I've been bitter this entire time.

PETER
You're lying.

HUGH
Yeah?

PETER
About this, what she said about me, how you feel. If you've been bitter this entire time, why are you here?

HUGH
I was just in town-

PETER
And it's an hour hike out. There's no food, the beds are hard, and it's cold. But you stayed the night, put up with an annoying romantic, and then ran away after you saw her.

HUGH
I-

PETER
Hoped. You hoped, and then whatever she told you, scared you. If it didn't matter, you'd stay there. If it did, you'd stay there. But you didn't like what you heard.

HUGH
'Cause it was crap.


PETER
So what if it was. I'm leaving. I'm following her advice, and going Glamorgan. I'll say hi to your friends.

HUGH
They wont be busy.

PETER
So wallow here by yourself.

HUGH
She doesn't know what she's talking about, Peter.

PETER
Go up there and set her straight, then.

HUGH
She wants me to lead, Peter. She wants me to help the people, be their voice. I don't know how to do that.

PETER
You never know how to. Talk to her.

PETER opens the door

HUGH
You leaving?

PETER
Yeah, I was going...

HUGH
Okay, well-

pause

PETER
You got some money left? PETER closes the door, sits down at the table Girl, two pints please.

Lights down as PETER and HUGH mime speech.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment