Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Meditation VI

“That's Mr Simmons. He owns the whole town.”
“If he owns the town, why haven't I seen him before?”
She starred back at me.
“Does he have another house somewhere? Another family, maybe another little dot on the map where he has a monopoly?”
The waitress knew I wanted more coffee, so she filled it up for me. I hadn't even had to ask. But I made her stop for a second before she left.
“Have you even ever talked to him? Does he know about your cheap burgers and fine desserts? When people like me stop in here, who travel so far for a little piece, is it surprising, the idea that people are jealous?”
Steam was creeping from the top of my cup, going up until it hit the fan on the roof. In mingled with the steam from her canteen, the rubber seal on it having eaten away. I turned my eyes back to her, and saw her eyes fed up with me.
“God doesn't like to visit the earth.”
The waitress left me then, and I was alone at my table again. Of course, she never mentioned why I had come to the town, but she knew that she had to keep her prices low to attract the only crowd that moved through the stop. We couldn't afford much, and what we wanted didn't have to be healthy or organic. Just filling and sweet. She should probably have learnt by now not to talk to her patrons.
Of course I left the diner after that, and I couldn't be helped but to start walking down the road. It didn't take long to get back to my car, and drive off. After five hours I reached my next destination, and it didn't really change anything in my mind. I climbed into the restaurant, had something quick to eat, and then sat for a while, staring down the waitress when ever she walked by. If they're advertising bottomless, I better not see the end of my cup. I never tip, because I'm not their boss.
As things continue like this, I end up at more tables than I can count. But part way through, sitting at my table, I see Mr Simmons walking out of the back. His familiar lurch and polyester suit. He climbs into a car outside, and I think to myself what problems might cause him to show up. Or if his visits are so short because he's ashamed.
Regardless, I leave my coffee cold and with no tip, walking out over a few broken tiles. People just didn't bother to take care anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment