Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Awaiting in a Parked Car

           So what is it like? When I'm enjoying my ride and watching the trees go by with their flowing greenery and the buildings spiking up past whatever sight I see. Then all at a chance we pull in somewhere, and someone dashes off for just a moment they say, faster than the changing scenery. But of course I stay in the car, and enjoy whatever else is on the other side, whether it be the black of the ground or my own reflection. I stare into it and ask myself why I don't go in, or what happens if you never return. The clock keeps going on and I wonder about the difference between a moment held by you and one watched by me, and the sun goes down and comes up and goes down again while I'm entrapped in my own eyes. But then I notice a worm coming out of my head, and see if crawling slowly over the ground pulling itself along.       
  Should I not be allowed to do the same? And a car drives over it, protected in the treads, and it continues oblivious of its luck. Happenstance doesn't stop it and it makes its way across the lot, until it rests weary from its travels out of sight, where it goes down to all its worms friends and talks of the commute and the strange man sitting alone in his metal box, or so I think. People walk out of the store and continue on down to their cars and drive off down the street to continue what they're doing, working and making. So why shouldn't a man be allowed to stay alone in a place content with what is happening?
            And inside the store the lights are beaming down on someone as they wait in a line for a cashier going slow or a coin counting grandmother. But really, they're talking to a person in front of the milk or running back and forth between two items comparing them, and sneaking between all the items looking for the expiration date that calls you forward to it. The person picks up their basket and keeps walking down the corridors and leaves it all behind.
            People flood all around where I wait and I watch them all through their lives until they can't stand me and leave me alone. Where I can't really understand and cast aside any hat I'm wearing doesn't matter. And arches show themselves to me before cutting away again and I'm left alone like some leper child. But someone returns and then I realize what has really happen, and breath a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment